In a new setting, white walls and bedspreads, sitting cross legged on the bed by the window, the sun breaks through and it feels like a spotlight! Brian shaves, and I hear little expletives coming from the bathroom because he has cut himself a tiny bit!
Yesterday was a travelling day, from Skibbereen back to Cork and north to Roscrea, which I've pronounced inaccurately so long that I truly need to double think before saying it now. All the roads have bushes on either side, allowing glimpses of the countryside only now and then. It is green everywhere, and remains so all winter. Begonias grow wild, little red blossoms hanging like grapes. The rose hips measure nearly an inch in diameter. Yesterday I saw gladiolas. They survive all year round as well. The cows are plentiful since family dairies are the source of milk and all its delicious by-products, and they eat grass year round, making for rich cream and yoghurt!
Saturday we spent the afternoon at Andrew and Fiona's, a day of relaxation, a delicious shepherd's pie, a little laundry taken care of, getting to know each other. We took a walk after supper down to the sea (I don't hear "ocean" at all), to a lovely inlet with a long island, and several smaller ones. Had we brought binoculars, we might have spotted the sea lions on another, larger island, but we heard them now and then. The Atlantic, strangely calm and inviting, lapped a beach of small flat rocks, maybe shale that has been tossed through the years. Of course there was skimming rocks, initiated by Brian, and later just sitting together on the soft, grass upon grass, hillside in the silence broken by seagulls. Sitting together, absorbing nature, we felt such gratitude for these two souls who love silence, and nature, and each other. Andrew's inquiry on Ancestry was a cause for this trip, but we also enjoyed that Fiona's advert in a "singles" column initiated their relationship, which needed to manifest before we could all be sitting by the sea.
The sun is blinding me again, after being obscured by ever-present clouds as I wrote. It is the love shining through that I am celebrating. Through the years, through generations, we humans love each other, and truly that is the cause of it all.
No comments:
Post a Comment