I had expressed some anxiety about making the changes between the train station and getting to the hotel we had booked near the Dublin Airport. I'd mentioned taking the bus (saving money of course). When Andrew came down for breakfast Friday morning, he was quite solemn and gently warned me I might not like what he had to say. This was out of character, and I awaited his concerns with an open heart. He said he was worried about our transfer from train to hotel, and had decided to ride with us to Dublin to help us, and then he'd return on the train later in the day. "I'll have to insist." We were incredibly touched at his protectiveness, and I instantly said we would get a taxi, that we did have the money to do so, and he mustn't worry.
We had a leisurely breakfast since our bags were ready, and enjoyed the bright dining room and variety of choices. Again I had a boxty, vowing to make some for our freezer so I can pop them into the griddle for a breakfast treat. The coffee was excellent. We ate well, then walked over to the grocery store for sandwiches to take with us. Walking down to the canal that crosses under the main street, I wondered about the history of our Erie Canal, which crossed under Main Street in Fairport, NY, one of my home towns. I promised myself to look it up.
Robert arrived to say good bye. Home care was at the house with Sarah, who sent her apologies to us that she was sleeping when we left. We talked to her briefly by phone. I so treasure her strength in a harsh farm life, getting water from the neighbors every day for several years, withstanding some harsh winters, doing endless laundry, and keeping the family fed on potatoes, eggs, beef, pork, chicken, and her brown soda bread which she sold in the village, and what vegetables would grow in the poor Leitrim soil. The family went to Northern Ireland to shop on Sundays, surely an adventure well earned. Rural electricity came to Ireland in the 60's, and to Leitrim in the 70's.
A common greeting in Irish is "God to you." The response is "God and Mary to you." The farewell is "Sloan leat," which translates "Goodbye and be safe." These were the words we carried in our hearts bidding goodbye to Andrew. Our consolation was the amazing communication systems available now, and his pledge to get Skype!
We made the transition to the hotel easily, settled, and went to the dining room for supper. We toasted each other and all our friends for the grand adventure it had been, sitting in a transition point between leaving and going. We had left the U.S. during New Moon, and now the full moon hung over Dublin outside our window.
We set our alarms (and the "wake up call" from the hotel) for 2 AM, and slept quickly and soundly.
No comments:
Post a Comment